For this exercise I needed two things:
- Random selection of books, or a library, stack of magazines, etc
- Internet (included is a device upon which to browse the internet, such as a computer, phone or iPad)
I was considering bibliomancy, which is the art of divination via books. A person selects a book, whichever one they’re drawn to – it doesn’t matter the subject matter (too much), focusses on their question, energy, feeling – whatever it is they need to know about. They close their eyes, turn to a random page and puts their finger down. Wherever the finger lands, usually that sentence holds the answer to their question.
I took a different direction. I chose a book at random – in my case, it turned out to be a Star Wars book, Legacy of the Jedi: A Clone Wars Novel by June Watson – opened it to a random page and put my finger in there with my eyes closed.
It landed on the word Lorien. I tried not to read anything surrounding it, but seeing it next to quotation marks, I quickly picked up that it was a person.
The next step was to take this word to Google Image. I searched the term and found the above image. Isn’t it lovely? And it’s interesting since it is of the other spectrum of the genre – fantasy.
Now I have my randomly selected image. Time to write about it. It can be anything. Write about what the image is, write a story using the image, write anything that comes to mind – just write! Isn’t that the whole point?
- Select a book at random
- Select a page at random with eyes closed
- Select word at random, with eyes closed
- Google the word selected in Google Image (alternatively, Google has an eco-friendly version called Blackle, which also has image search)
- Select an image
- Write about said image
Good luck writing!