Traveling Kitty

Now that the plane tickets are out of the way, the next complicated thing to figure out is just how to get my cat over the pond.

I’m sure some of you are thinking that it’s silly for me to invest so much in bringing my cat over, but know this: that kitty’s my homie. I’ve had him for six years, and next month we will have lived together for seven years (he was originally my roommate’s cat). He’s been with me when jerk boys broke my heart, when chocolate wasn’t doing the trick, and those times when over-consumption got the better of me. Boot is my homie, and it’s not cool to leave a homie behind.

That said, I’ve been looking into what’s required. Now that I’m not flying from Vancouver, it actually gets a lot less tricky. They require quarantine while the UK doesn’t (with a few exceptions). From my understanding, I need to make sure he’s got a microchip ID, he’s up to date with all his shots, he has a follow-up appointment 30 days after his shots, and gets a note from the vet saying that he has a clean bill of health within 10 days of him traveling. Super easy. I don’t know what the cost will be like, but it’s part of my research.

Boot is also not going to be traveling with me. Even if I weren’t going to fly from LA, and was flying from Seattle or Vancouver, it would mean a 2 hour drive to the airport, three hours at the airport, whatever lay-over time there is wherever, then the two-and-a-half hour drive from the airport to Durham. I’ve traveled 24 hours, door to door, trying to get from one country to another. I’m not going to do that to my cat.

So I’m currently looking into just what it is I need to do for my kitty to be shipped to me, where he will meet me after I’ve made the house nice and organized and Boot-friendly.


I got impatient: I said “yes”.

As I mentioned in a somewhat recent post that I was getting impatient with Exeter. They have repeatedly taken their sweet time getting back to me, and when they do, they ask for more information, then take upwards of a month and a half to get back to me. Because I have a deadline by which to reply to my other universities, I made a decision: I killed my ego.

It was my ego that wanted to see Exeter out, that wanted to jump the hoops they set through to me, to be able to say that I had been accepted into¬†all the universities I applied for. But seriously, they were taking their time just to stress me out, I’m convinced of it. SO I withdrew my application from them.

I withdrew, and with that act I also chose Durham as my top choice university (my “firm yes”) and placed the University of Nottingham as my back up school, should, for whatever reason, I not actually receive my placement at Durham.

So that’s my big news of the day. Now, I wait…..some more.


I think it was about the beginning of March that I sent off my transcripts to Exeter University, after they finally contacted me. They are the last university I need to get an answer from before I am able to confirm with Durham that yes, I’d like to secure my position there. As mentioned in other blog posts, I applied through UCAS, and must get a response from all of the programs I applied to before I give any of them an answer to their offers. 

At the time that I got my handbook  from the philosophy department from Durham, I received an email from Exeter asking for my transcripts. Here it is, 11 days into April and I have finally heard from them. 

They want more information.

They requested that I give a detailed outline of the English classes I’ve taken, as well as an estimate of how many hours a week I’ve spent with English literature, and how many hours a week I’ve spent with the English Language. 

In all honesty, I’ve only spent a quarter with English literature, the rest has been from the rest of the world. I could use my time as a tutor in the Writing Center to count towards my hours, especially my time tutoring ESLA students. Part of me wants to say screw it, they’re not going to get back to me in time anyway, I should cancel my application to them.

…but then the ego yells at me that j want to get accepted to 5/5 universities I applied to. 

The date is set!

I’m pleased to say, finally, a mile marker has been reached. Granted it’s not a grand mild marker but I suppose it really depends on who you are and what you define as a mile marker. 
However, given that it was two years ago exactly (well, three days ago it was two years ago exactly) that I began my journey back to school, thinking I wouldn’t be able to go further than the University in my own back yard, and only being able to muster two very part time jobs along the way, I’m quite thrilled with this.

After much scrimping and saving, debating and searching, plotting and planning, my boyfriend and I have finally bought out plane tickets to England.

This was was a surprisingly difficult feat. After a traffic offense or two, my boyfriend has been banned from Canada (which, for those of you who don’t live near Canada, is an extremely easy thing to do). So as a result, we had to find an alternative route. The problem was that flying from Seattle was thick the expense as flying from Canada, so it was a little bit out of the option. So it made sense to go to LA simply because my dad and sisters live in California, and if I do it right, I can stop and see them on the way to the airport. 

I feel relieved now that plane tickets are bought. Nothing ever seems real until that step is out of the way for me.